We have answers to all of your questions! If you can’t find the answers here, please email [email protected] or give us a call at 801-584-5815.
Who are the Huntsman Heroes?
The Huntsman Heroes are a group of dedicated supporters and athletes of all levels, from Utah and beyond, who share the same commitment and goal—eradicating cancer from this earth. The team trains, fundraises, and participates in several partner events and Huntsman Cancer Foundation (HCF) signature events to make a meaningful impact in the fight against cancer. The team is open for anyone to join. You can also join the Huntsman Heroes team as a Virtual Hero and participate in your own event, wherever you are, to fundraise for Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI). Fundraising is required for this group and 100% of funds raised are used to support the mission of HCI.
Do I need to be a certain level of athlete to join the Huntsman Heroes?
No. The Huntsman Heroes are composed of both beginning and seasoned athletes. From walkers to runners, weekend riders to cyclists racing LoToJa, all are welcome. This is a community group of dedicated individuals who want to make a meaningful impact in the fight against cancer.
What are the Huntsman Heroes partner and signature events?
The Huntsman Heroes partner with the following community events:
- Salt Lake City Marathon
- Ogden Marathon
- Little Red Riding Hood
- Cache Gran Fondo
- Huntsman World Senior Games
Huntsman Cancer Foundation also holds two signature athletic events that Huntsman Heroes can participate in:
- Pink Park City (skiing and snowboarding)
- Huntsman SportsFest (walk/run, ride, HIGH Fitness, and Spikeball)
Are there any volunteer opportunities with the Huntsman Heroes?
Huntsman Cancer Foundation has different volunteer opportunities throughout the year with both the Huntsman Heroes program and other event programs. If you or a friend or family member is interested in volunteering, please reach out to us at [email protected].
Will training be held in-person this year?
First and foremost is the safety of our participants, volunteers, and staff. Our goal is to have in-person training for the 2021–2022 running season. As the season approaches, we'll evaluate whether it's possible for us to safely train together, and if so, what precautions we'll take.
What if I want to join the Huntsman Heroes, but don’t see the event I want to participate in?
No matter where you live or what kind of athletic event you want to participate in, you can be a Virtual Hero! Train with the Huntsman Heroes team, raise funds for Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI), and receive the team incentives. There is no cost to join the Huntsman Heroes team as a Virtual Hero, but you will need to cover your entry fee into your chosen event. No matter what event you choose, 100% of all funds raised will benefit the lifesaving mission of HCI.
For your commitment and dedication to raising money for HCI, we will provide you with the following:
- A personal fundraising webpage used to collect donations from friends and family and to track your fundraising success
- A Huntsman Heroes team jersey if you fundraise $500 or more
- Training with our running and/or cycling teams on Saturdays in Salt Lake City
What are the benefits of becoming a Huntsman Hero?
- The best incentive for raising money is that you help us get that much closer to eradicating cancer. However, there are other benefits to being a Huntsman Hero, including the following:
- No partner event fee. Huntsman Heroes covers event costs with partnered events.
- Guaranteed event entry into select sold-out events. Skip the lottery! Our team has guaranteed entry to events like Little Red and LoToJa.
- Weekly Training Events | Running: November–May | Cycling: March–June. Meet with team coaches who set up training routes and provide course support. If you are not in the Salt Lake area and are unable to attend weekly training, the coaches are still here to help set up a training plan that works for you to get you ready for your event. Training participants need to be 18+ years of age or accompanied by an adult.
- Easy-to-follow training schedule. We’re all busy! The Huntsman Heroes training schedule is structured for you to get the most out of your training and achieve your fitness goals.
- Team jersey. If you raise more than $500, you'll earn a Huntsman Heroes jersey to show your dedication and support to eradicating cancer. Individual LoToJa riders who raise $1,000 or more also receive a Huntsman Heroes jersey.
- Personal fundraising web page. When you sign up as a Huntsman Hero, you'll get access to an easy-to-use online tool to help you collect donations and track and reach your fundraising goal.
- Fundraising incentives. Team jerseys, jackets, cycling bibs, and more!
- VIP tent at the finish line at partner events. Celebrate your victory with food, cold drinks, and massages when you cross the finish line at our partner events.
How much does it cost to participate?
It is $25 to participate in a partner event and we cover the entry fee for participants who reach the fundraising minimum.
There is no fee to participate as Virtual Hero, but you will need to cover your entry fee into your selected event.
Where does the money go?
One hundred percent of all funds raised go to support the mission of Huntsman Cancer Institute in Salt Lake City, Utah. By funding efforts to better understand the beginnings of cancer and more effectively treat cancer, you help relieve suffering and improve the quality of life for cancer patients, survivors, and their families when you give. Cancer patients, caregivers, and donors are encouraged to come together in a myriad of ways to fight cancer individually and collectively through fundraising programs like the Huntsman Heroes.
Participants and donors even have the opportunity to restrict their funds to support research for a specific type of cancer.
Can I designate my fundraising towards a specific type of cancer?
You can! During the registration process, you can choose to designate your funds towards a specific cancer type, or you can leave it as "Area of Greatest Need," and the funds will be dispersed accordingly.
NOTE: If you join a team that already has a designation in place, your funds raised will go towards that designation.
Is fundraising required?
As a member of the Huntsman Heroes team, you agree to raise a minimum amount for certain events and distances. Don’t worry, fundraising is easier than it seems! We have lots of tips in our fundraising toolkit to help you go above and beyond your goal.
- 5K, 10K, and Kids K distances: $250
- Half marathon, marathon, and cycling ride: $500
- LoToJa: $1,000 for individual cyclists and $500 for relay cyclists
Note: Huntsman Cancer Foundation signature events (including Pink Park City and Huntsman SportsFest) do not have minimum fundraising requirements to participate.
What are the incentive items for fundraising?
The best incentive for raising money is that you help us get that much closer to eradicating cancer. To add a little more fun to the mix, check out these incentives!
- $500: Huntsman Heroes team jersey
- $1,000: Huntsman Heroes team jacket or cycling bibs ($1,500 for individual LoToJa cyclists)
Are gifts made through my fundraising page tax-deductible?
Yes. Huntsman Cancer Foundation is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization. All gifts made through your individual or team fundraising page, or sent directly to Huntsman Cancer Foundation on your behalf, are tax-deductible. Donors will receive an emailed or mailed receipt at the time of their gift.
Gifts made through a third-party donation platform (example: using Facebook's fundraising platform instead of sharing your official Huntsman Cancer Foundation fundraising page) are unable to be receipted by the foundation.
Can donations be mailed to Huntsman Cancer Foundation and still be credited to my fundraising page?
Yes! Checks can be mailed to our office where our events team will put them on your fundraising page. Checks should be written to Huntsman Cancer Foundation, with a short note or your name and event written in the memo line to help us know who it is for!
Please mail checks to:
Huntsman Cancer Foundation
500 Huntsman Way
Salt Lake City, Utah 84108